Friday, October 08, 2004

I Dream Of Brownie With The Light Blue Jeans

A brief glimpse into the future when I am a seminary professor.

"And now, before we proceed with the rest of the syllabus, I would like to make mention another matter, my dear students, which is not on your syllabus for reasons which will soon be apparent.

Now many of your professors will claim that they cannot be bribed, and I am sure they cannot. I, on the otherhand, can and should be bribed ... particularly with chocolate, specifically with brownies. No nuts.

Let us say you have a term paper due but are unable to turn the paper in on its due date for whatever reason. I could see myself being a bit more flexible with set due dates if I knew that a student had given or is giving a gift of chocolate brownies with no nuts.

Let us say that you have a grade of an 89 - only one point away from a B. I could see myself being a bit more gracious dispensing letter grades if I knew that a student had given or is giving a gift of chocolate brownies with no nuts. The same goes with other borderline grades.

This chocolate brownie with no nuts policy exhibits grace on the part of the student and the teacher. You get something and I get something; we both are happy.

Keep this in mind and be sure to build up ... uh ... brownie points.

Just to let you know: these previous statements of mine about receiving academic grace in exchange for chocolate brownies with no nuts were only a joke (wink wink)."

No comments: