Friday, October 08, 2004

Evangelical Evolutionism

Last evening I spent some time discussing evolution and the Bible with my fiancee. The basis of the discussion was my belief in both biblical authority and scientific anthropology and her disbelief in macro-evolution. The format of the discussion was my answers to her questions. The discussion was very friendly of course. It is always encouraging when two people of generally like minds can have a pleasant conversation on a controversial topic while still disagreeing over subject.

I have not always believed that evolution was true. I remember the first time I learned of the subject. When I was in 4th grade my parents and I were visiting Discovery Place in downtown Charlotte, NC (Discovery Place is a science museum for children). I remember looking up at a large mecahnical dinosaur that was growling and moving his head from side to side. (Killed off in the flood, right?) I recall seeing a large diagram on the far wall, depicting the ascent of man from lower species to higher species. I asked my parents what this was all about, they said: "That's evolution, we don't believe in that." "Oh, okay," I remember saying. And at 10 years old that is that.

The basic problem that developed in me and, I believe, in most evangeilicals is the decision we are given by our leaders: either God or evolution. From the very beginning, my general makeup felt discomfort with such a formula and cracks began to show in the surface of fundamentalism. I say "fundamentalism" because it is this brand of Christianity that has perpetuated the either/or scenario. My grandfather on my father's side is a fundamentalist, and a very loving, faithful one. My father has always said that my grandfather puts the "fun" in "fundamentalism." And fundamentalism does not make anyone more or less faithful to God in Christ. I know fundamentalist who are very Godly and those who are not. The same goes with "modernists." But my grandfather has always answered the question of evolution this way: "I don't believe in evolution, but if that's how God did it that's how He did it." End of story.

I remember in the spring of 1996 sitting at Denny's with my youth group and the discussion of the Big Bang Theory emerged. I must tell you, the other youth were shocked that I could accept the theory of the Big Bang. It seemed that while this theory proves the universe had a beginning it also proves creation to be billions of years old. It appeared to my youth friends that by accepting the Big Bang theory I was giving credence to evolution by default. At that time I did not think I was.

Throughout college I disbelieved in evolution but began to associate Adam and Eve with early neanderthal man. Even so, the evidence in favor of evolution was piling up. And not just scientific. What of the biblical evidence? Why are the creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2 different? Where did Cain's wife come from?

As I began to study the subject more I came to realize that there were many Christians throughout America and throughout history who have believed both in evolution and the Bible. In fact, if your seminary professor feels safe to discuss the matter with you, he or she will confess that they too believe in evolution.

And so here I am. A conservative evangelical Christian who believes in both biblical authority and scientific anthropology. To top it off, my ministry is to be as seminary professor and I wish to teach in the SBC. Good luck! I could follow other educatwed seminary professors here at SWBTS and either not discuss the matter or code my words in "doublespeak." Of course, the latter decision got many SBC professors fired in the 80s and 90s. As for me, I cannot deny what I believe, but I also do not have to teach it. And why should I. I maintain the bible is not a book of science and makes no such claim. Furthermore, to use the bible as a scientic book is to use the divinely-inspired Scriptures for something it was never intended for. Thankfully, I am not called to teach science but teach the knowledge for equipping believers to fulfill the Great Commission.

We Christians may not aggree on the method of creation but we do believe in the creation. We may not all believe in a literal view of the fall of man but we do believe that man is fallen and can only be redeemed by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ. And that is what is important.

No comments: