Thursday, February 09, 2006

Panis Circenses' 50 Top Most Influential Christians

I was recently sent this article about the 50 Top Most Influential Christians in America. A friend who sent me the article was upset that R.C. Sproul and John McArthur were not listed. I was somewhat surprised that a few others were not listed. Anyway, I decided to do my own list of most influential Christians. I did not do a Top 50 countdown becasue 1) I wanted something a bit more flexible and 2) I do not actively supprot some of the ministerial tactics that some of these individuals practice but I do need to include them because they are influential. Let it be known that I have included non-Americans.

Here is my criteria list: A still living believer who is influential today. Therefore, I would not but Barth or Brunner since they are dead. I would not but Karen Armstrong or Bishop John Shelby Spong because they are not are believers. I would not but Jim Bakker or Oral Roberts because they are no longer influential. Also, and most importantly, I made sure that my choices did not reflect my own view of who truly is important but, rather, who is actually influential. Regardless, I am highlighting my favourite choices.


Pastors

Pope Benedict XVI
Tony Evans
Jerry Falwell
Bill Hybels
T.D. Jakes
John McArthur
Brian McLaren
Joel Osteen
John Piper
Robert Schuller
Chuck Swindoll
Rick Warren


Writers

Tim LaHaye
Max Lucado
Beth Moore
Jim Wallis
Bruce Wilkinson
Philip Yancey


Scholars

Richard Bauckham
Jim Dunn
Donald Hagner
Richard Hays
N.T. Wright


Theologians

Wayne Grudem
Stanley Hauerwas
Hans Kung
Jurgen Moltmann
Wolfhart Pannenberg
Clark Pinnock
Leonard Sweet


Preachers

Billy Graham
Franklin Graham
Benny Hinn
Joyce Meyer


Other

George Barna
Bono
George W. Bush
Jimmy Carter
Chuck Colson
James Dobson
Mel Gibson
Sean Hannity
Richard Land
John Maxwell
Dr. Phil McGraw
Al Mohler
Bill Moyers
Pat Robertson
Jay Aan Sekulow
Walter Shurden

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

noticed 4 pastors from Texas...3 from Dallas area...I wonder if Ed Young should be on there, probably not quite a top 10, but close? Also, is Dr. Phil a professing Christian?

Nicolas Gold said...

Yes, Texas appears to be the epi-center of American Christianity. I mean, look at all the Texas Christians on the list:

Tony Evans
T.D. Jakes
Joel Osteen
Chuck Swindoll
Max Lucado
George W. Bush
Sean Hannity
Dr. Phil McGraw

I considered Ed Young. He was on my honorable mention list with a few others.

Yes, it is my understanding that Dr. Phil professes Christ as his saviour.