Monday, August 01, 2005

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events



I saw Lemony Snicket this weekend. Allow me to give my opinion of Lemony Snicket: IT SUCKED LEMONS!!!

Although the art direction was good and there were a few funny moments and allusions, the film was a repetitive mix of gratuitous episodes that grated the nerves and never came together to form a cohesive whole. The whole film was filled with loose threads and red herrings and mysteries that never were resolved. I was quite dissapointed with the film. Again, the art direction was quite good, very good. Even the acting was quite good. But the story never went anywhere and each episode seemed to promise a clue to an ever deepening mystery that never really appeared. I have not read the book but I would guess that the script adaptation is too blame. I cannot imagine that such a story as portrayed in the film could ever capture a child's imagination the way these books have. No, don't watch this drivel; watch Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban instead.

2 comments:

Sher said...

That movie made me and my BFF Christine scream outloud in the movie theater! (The part with the snake.) I thought it was very stressful!

Nicolas Gold said...

Yes, I know the part you mean. That made me jump.


They guy who played Monty who owned all the snakes ... he's a well-known comedian in Britain. Did you notice that Monty walked around with a python around his neck? Monty-Python. That was a subtle allusion that I found funny. It's probably in the original book. I doubt the screenwriters could have come up with that.