Friday, February 25, 2005

Can Christians Believe That People Are Born Gay?



I am about to get controversial again.

Now I do not by into the Augustine notion of original sin which teaches that man is born with a sinful nature. I prefer the view that looks at sin as something that comes upon the person following birth when the person makes contact with sinners.

Nevertheless, I wondered today …

Why is it that we as evangelical Christians do not believe that some people are born gay?

Really, if we believe that humans are born with sinful natures and are still responsible for their sins then why do we not believe that some are born with the sinful nature of homosexuality? Can people not be born gay and still be sinners sinning by being gay?

Now before some of you start forwarding this post to the dean, let me reiterate my stance against homosexuality. I think homosexuality is a sin and that homosexuals and those practicing homosexuality need Christ. Being gay is wrong.

Having said that, I do wonder if an evangelical can believe that person can be born a homosexual and still maintain that homosexuals are under the penalty of that sin because homosexuality is a sin. I think they could under this scenario. Why would someone be born a homosexual? Because the effect of sin upon creation following the fall of man has caused them to be homosexual sinners. Why is any man a sinner? Because the effect of sin upon creation following the fall of man has caused them to be a sinner. If this scenario is true, then we should have no more a problem believing that people are born homosexuals than we believe that anyone is born a sinner.

Of course, I do not believe that man is born with a sinful nature so I don’t have to face this problem.

No comments: