Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Great Mystery of Our Generation

I have had a theory in mind for many moons now that I think answers the question of why SUVs are so popular.

Many on the left who are concerned about the impact of the internal combustion on the environment have direct their ire in recent years toward America’s most popular vehicle, the SUV. In trying to ascertain the popularity of these vehicles by the buying public, many on the left have speculated that the sheer size of these vehicles is its consumer drawing power. Such speculation has eventually led to modern critiques of American bravado and our population’s obsession with “bigness” or even our consumer consciousness of having the “it” thing, in this case, the SUV.

In response, the right, in an urge to defend consumer culture and the individual American’s right to purchase the vehicle of their choice, has defended the SUV and ridiculed the environmental movement’s obsession cars and American consumerism. Thy have postulated that the popularity of SUVs has much to do with its safety. In this sense the right has argued that the popularity of the SUV is do to its relative safeness for its occupants in comparison with other cars.

Bravado or safety?

Well, I have thought long and hard about this issue. I really do not care about the outcome in the least sense. I do not believe in global warming any more than I believe in dooms-day scenarios (I’ve never liked disaster films). Also, I really do not care for SUVs. I prefer smaller cars. Give me a Pontiac Vibe or a Toyota Matrix any day. Nevertheless, my curiousness about this particular cars popularity did strike me. More to the point, I am always interested in finding out why anything is popular. What makes something popular? Why do people like reality television? I have no idea. Learning why anything is popular is, I think, a worthwhile venture; it tells you much about human nature. Sometimes the answer is merely buzz. How else does one explain why Tickle-Me Elmo and Cabbage Patch Kids were popular. Because kids wanted them? I doubt that. If something is popular simply because it is popular then this does tell you something about human nature (it’s the if-everyone-was-jumping-off-a-bridge argument that parents use). But sometimes the answers to why certain things are popular are more subtle and more practical. Why are SUVs so popular?

I finally came to a pretty good conclusion that I think answers this question. I think that the people buying these cars are families. I think, in particular, young families are buying these cars. More to the point, I think young fathers are opting for these vehicles because 1) they can haul a family and 2) most importantly, its cool to drive one.

Think about it. Families in the fifties and sixties once drove station wagons. Not cool. Then families in the 80s drove big vans. Even less cool. In the nineties, mini-vans were the vehicles of choice for young families. Not cool, but better than vans and wagons.

In the late nineties and into this decade (by the way, what do we call this decade?), the SUV came into existence. Here was a vehicle that looks like a truck but could carry a family. Here was a car that a young father could carry junior to soccer practice but still take out with the guys on the weekends to Hooters or what have you.

Instead of buying a van for the family and a car for cruising, a young father who wants to still look cool can buy and an SUV.

So the answer is not really safety nor popularity, though these reasons could be accompanying factors. The answer is not necessarily bravado, though I think the left is closer in this answer than the right is with theirs.

Yes, the answer is “coolness”. People want to look cool but still be practical. The SUV combines both practicality and coolness.

Therefore, the left should not worry too much. Coolness like anything is a matter of trend and, like all trends, this one will eventually subside. The SUV will go the way of the dodo soon enough and then there will be a new vehicle with which to concern yourselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This theory was once a vision. A vision of some marketing guy or gal for one of the car manufacturers. A vision probably conceived 15 or 20 years ago.

You are right about how they market the SUV. The commercials for SUV's are catered to males---the rugged-ness persona sells to men, who probably make the car decisions in most families anyways. Furthermore, women like the safety aspects and the "room" of the SUV.

Sher said...

I must defend myself as an SUV driver. I love mine! And I come from a past of small cars. I owned two mustangs previously to my Yukon, and also drove a small 2-door blazer. But to me, bigger is better. Not only to haul things, but people. And it is safer, especially on Texas roads where people don't know how to drive! If I get in a wreck on the interstate, I have a much better chance of survival in my big truck than in the little convertible I used to drive.

But maybe it’s a Southern thing...At my family reunions, we have about six SUV's parked in the driveway. Out of the 18 eligible drivers, only five drive cars. The rest all own SUV's or trucks!

Coolness is definitely a factor! I get lots of comments on how great my truck is. I won't deny it! Hey, I know I look cool in my SUV, but I'm safe too! And sense I've been known to make a few mistakes on the road, I think driving a bigger vehicle is better for me!

So, call me a soccer mom or a road hog, but I love my truck, and I'll drive it until she wears out and falls apart!

Nicolas Gold said...

You go, girl!