Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Evangelism Questions



My response to a friend witnessing to an unbeliever who uses evolution as his issue to reject the Gospel. I thought that this might be of some assistance to others.

To My Good Friend,

Yes, I think that is all good.

I would be more than willing to talk to him. Most Christians around the world hold to the evolutionary theory. Even those Christians who do not generally hold to that theory, most of them do not think that it necessarily conflicts with the Christian Faith.

However, I suspect that he is only holding on to the science-faith conflict because he believes it is his strongest rebuff. If the science-faith conflict was removed as an issue, he would probably hold on to another issue that he thinks would then be his strongest rebuff. I honestly do not think that reasoning with him would help; I think it would only be a distraction and harden his thoughts.

I think you have the right idea, though: go to his heart, go to where he is, and go to his relationship with God.

He says, “I do not believe in God” or “I do not know if there is a God.”

Here are some possible replies:

- “Well, let me ask this question: do you want there to be a God?”

-“How do you think your life would change if God did exist?”

-“What does it mean to you that there isn't a God?”

-“Why do you think people ‘evangelize’?”

-“If what people are telling you is true, how would that affect your life?”

and

-“Why not ask God if he exists?”

Ask him to ask God on his own to help him to believe. Then tell him to wait patiently. I believe God will help him to believe.

"Keep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for. Keep on looking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And the door is opened to everyone who knocks. You parents-if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.” (Matthew 7:7-11 (also Luke 11:9-13))

I, myself, have doubts from time to time, but I have learned to go to God with those doubts.

“Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.” (Mar 9:24)

As you said, ask him to think about these questions. Ask him to ask God. Tell him to do so and say, “What harm could it do?” Remind him not to expect a “burning-bush,” but just tell him to think about it and ask God. “Be patient and see what happens.”

And, of course: Jesus! Jesus! Jesus! Tell him to read the Gospels (particularly Luke). Tell him that Christians believe that God is like Jesus. Tell him that if he wants to know what God is like, then look at Jesus.

I hope this will be some help. I will pray.

God Bless

PC

No comments: