Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Parable of the Two Trees

This is a parable set at a time when the man and the woman would sit in the soft grass beneath the Tree of Life and talk with the Lord and the Lord would talk with the woman and the man.

The man and the woman had a happy routine to fill out their days. Every morning of every day, the woman and the man would wake from a deep and restful sleep and begin to tend to the garden the Lord had given them. They enjoyed the work of planting, watering and growing various floras that they found in the garden. The man and the woman would eat from the flora and enjoy the fruit of the trees and the plants that the Lord provided. The woman and the man enjoyed each others company and the talks they had together. The man and the woman enjoyed exploring the garden, observing its various aspects, pointing out to each other these aspects and raising questions for the other to think about. But most of all they enjoyed that time of the day when they would sit in the soft grass beneath the Tree of Life and talk with the Lord.

Once a day when that day began to cool, the woman and the man would go to the Tree of Life and meet the Lord. There the three of them would sit beneath the Tree, eat of its fruit, and talk. There the man and the woman would ask questions of the Lord and the Lord would answer the questions the woman and man asked. Each day the Lord would begin the same way: My children, what would you like to talk about today? And this was their daily routine.

One day, as the day began to cool, the man and the woman did not come to the Tree of Life to meet the Lord. The Lord wondered why the woman and the man were late: My children have not come to the Tree of Life. I shall go and look for them.

My children, where are you? Where are you, man child? Where are you, woman child? ... Where are you man child? ... There you are, my children. Where were you? What are you doing here? We usually sit by the Tree of Life and talk. Why are you hiding by the Tree of Knowledge? There is no one here to talk to, is there, woman child? Man child, why did you not answer me when I called? ... I see. Who told you that? ... Have you eaten the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge? ... I see. Woman child, what is this that the man tells me? ... I see. Because this animal has done this, this animal shall be lowlier than all the other animals. This animal and the woman and her children shall be at odds with each other ... Woman, because you have done this, you will not enjoy your work and you shall not enjoy the company of the man ... Man, because you have done this, you will not enjoy your work and you shall not enjoy the garden. I shall put you back from where I brought you.

Because you came to this Tree, this is the Tree you shall have ... Do not wear leaves to hide from me amidst the plants. I shall not look for you there ... You shall wear these animal skins and remain here with the other animals ... I’m going back to the Tree of Life to sit in the soft grass. I shall come to you because you cannot come to me.

No comments: