Thursday, June 08, 2006

“One” Man And “One” Woman?

As I have been occasionally writing the book on my experiences in seminary, I have been recollecting on how my understanding of marriage, divorce and homosexuality has changed. In particular, I was trying to grasp what the definition of marriage is. We hear that marriage is defined as being between one man and one woman. The man and woman aspect of this definition I am in full agreement upon. However, it is the “one” man and “one” woman aspect that has me puzzled. For instance:

If a man has two wives, is he truly married to both of them?

If he is only truly married to one and not the other, which is which?

If he is truly married to the woman he wedded first and the second is nothing but adultery, then if the first wife dies is he then married to the second wife and no longer committing adultery.

Jacob was tricked into marrying Leah by her father Laban, yet Jacob honored the marriage. However, he then turned around and married Rachel, the woman he wanted to marry in the first place. Was Jacob married to both? Was he only married to one? If so, which one? Rachel or Leah?

Polygamy was practiced in the Ancient Near East (ANE): was this marriage practice honored by God? Apparently it was. In fact, according to Scripture, God appears to honor polygamous marriages.

I think what we have here is another case of cultural relativity. I think that while God honored the polygamous marriages of the ANE, he would not do so today. This is a part of the progressive revelation we often encounter in Scripture. Just as God one honored slavery, He now no longer tolerates such behavior.

No comments: