Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Oxford Trip 2004 IX: The Streets of Edinburgh

I realized this week that it has been a month since I last posted pictures from my Oxford Trip. I thought today that I would cease my slackness and resume.

When we last posted, I was on my way to Scotland. We had just left Grasmere and were now entering Edinburgh. Unfortunately, I had not had a cup of Starbucks in two days.

On one fine day, I, in my typical fashion, broke away from my tour group and set out on my own to see the sights. I had just finished reading a great selection of Kierkegaards religious writings, Provocations, and wanted to exercise my Christian freedom and independence. Also, I was debating within myself the importance of soul freedom and creedalism.

When my group began to flounder on which directions to take to see the sights and where these sights were at and where we were and how we could get anywhere I then decided that Kierkegaard was right and the crowd is wrong. Yes, I decided to assert my soul’s competency and set off on my own in my own direction.

After a few block in my own direction, I found a Starbucks. Yes, this would be a good day.

My first picture is of this wonderful Presbyterian Church. Inside a young minister was playing a grand pipe organ. I requested Benny and the Jets but he declined.



As you can see from the reverse side, the church is undergoing some renovation. I wonder if they’ll put statues outside?



Here is the arch above the door to the Presbyterian Church.



Here is one of the streets that leads up to Edinburgh Castle.



And, of course, here is the ubiquitous quilted piper. It was quite windy that day … It’s twue! It’s twue!



I’ll continue this soon. Childe Roland hopes to reach Edinburgh Castle soon.

No comments: