Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wade Burleson Posts My Paper on Women in Ministry

Oh, by the way! Pastor Wade Burleson posted my research paper on Women in Ministry in a seven part series. I just now remembered that he called me this past Spring.

I was quite proud of this little paper. At the time I thought it was pretty good. Now ... well, it's okay. Having had 3 more years of seminary, a thesis project behind me, and being well into a book on my theological education, my evidence and arguments are far superior today. When recently asked about publishing this paper into a book, I responded that I would rather scrap the whole bugger and start anew. Which I am.

Here is what Wade Burleson wrote about me:

"The author of this series is a Southern Baptist pastor named Nic (Nicolas) Gold. He is the Administrative Pastor at Christian Freedom Southern Baptist Church in Kings Mountain, North Carolina.

Nic graduated from Southwestern Theological Seminary in May 2007 with a Master of Arts in Theology Degree. He wrote the paper produced in this seven part series for his systematic theology class during the 2002-2003 school year.

Nic is an inerrantist and began the paper with a view of women in ministry that he called 'traditional,' but allowed the sacred text to guide his conclusions for the paper. During his study, his views changed, under no influence but the Bible. He now views himself as an evangelical egalitarian because of his studies of the sacred text on the issue.

His church is Southern Baptist and gives to the Cooperative Program, Lottie Moon, and all the other designated missions offerings. Nic and his wife Lisa and their children absolutely love the church where they serve and minister to a congregation of about 800 in weekly attendance (and growing)."


There are a few errors in this statement. I assume he must have misunderstood me.

Lisa and I only have one child, a daughter, Dakota

The congregation has only about 500 in weekly worship attendance ... but still growing.

Also, I am no longer at Christian Freedom. I was fired from the church at the end of May for being 5-10 minutes late to the office. ... Long story. Not related to the issue of "Women in Ministry"; my position in this issue would have been a better excuse.

But, yes, I certainly love the church.

In regards to the comments concerning my paper:

Why does no one ever attack my arguments and points? I continue to hear that my position is wrong and contrary to the Scriptures but no one ever deals with the Scriptural evidence I present.

People, People! If I am truly wrong, you should be attacking my argument with ferocity. Annihilate it! Prove my argument wrong for all to see.

Instead ... well, if I am wrong about this issue, it should not have been so easy to soundly win arguments with seminary students, seminary professors, and various SBC pastor-leaders.

1 comment:

wadeburleson.org said...

Nic,

Appreciate your transparency about Christian Freedom . . . er, Christian (Just Don't Be Late) Freedom, (wink).

Sorry to hear about the loss of employment, but trust the Lord will open additional doors for ministry.

Your paper is excellent and I hope you get it published.

Blessings,

Wade