Friday, April 29, 2005

Oxford Trip 2004 X: St. Andrews

Now that my semester is almost over I can now take time to post the rest of my pics from last summer’s trip to Great Britain. I think I need to finish these posts before I go back to Oxford this summer. Certainly I need to finish these posts before the anniversary of these events comes around in July.



On our last stop in Scotland we come to St. Andrews, a town known for its Presbyterian University and great golf course. It’s nice to know where golf and pasturing originated.

This is the University of St. Andrews is currently well-known as the residence of Richard Bauckham, one of the best contemporary New Testament scholars. No, I did not get a chance to meet him.



Here you can get a great glance at the sea looking out from the ruins of the castle at St. Andrews.



And here is the group with which I ventured to Great Britain. If you look real close you can see three or four doctorates.



And here are our two mediators. Between the professors and the students stood these two gentlemen, Mike Odem and The Rush. I am not really sure what they are discussing … possibly something to do with the dreadful sandwiches they continually passed out … sandwiches which made us pass out.



Here is the inside of the well they are standing beside. Maybe they are trying to figure out how to get the coins out. Since this is a Scottish well, I doubt their chances.



And here are the ruins of the cathedral at St. Andrews. This was quite an interesting place.



I later ventured out on my own (as always) trying to find a good place to get a burger. Never really did find one. However, I did find a good restaurant that offered a decent burger. Interestingly, after I had ordered, a bird flew into the restaurant and perched itself in the rafters. The bird (a dirty bird indeed) commenced to poop upon the patrons. It would hop from rafter to rafter leaving a surprise in its wake. I quickly grabbed my food and headed into a section of the restaurant away from the falling poo. For the next half hour I watched from a distance as the restaurant staff chased the bird around with nets and brooms. Yes, the food is decent, the service is okay, but the floor show is spectacular.



For the next few hours, I ventured around the town stopping into book stores. I was able to find a few good books, including a Penguin copy of the speeches of Cicero. Nice reading.





And this is a nice church whose picture I took. It was a costly shot. I dropped my then fiancée’s camera while doing so.

So ends my time in Scotland. Lovely country.

3 comments:

Thomas Winborn said...

Thank you for the reminder of such a wonderful trip! I hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

I think you should buy your lovely wife a new digital camera to make up for the one you dropped in Scotland!

Nicolas Gold said...

Thanks, dear. I love you, too.